Have you been inspired by the amazing community spirit during the pandemic? Love the idea of joining them but don’t want to quit your day job? If you want to make a real difference to the lives of others and give something back, Northumbria Police can offer you that perfect chance!
We’ve got a whole host of ways to become part of our team, but volunteering is a great opportunity for you to join us in a completely different and unique way. Volunteers play a huge part in the support we offer and bring invaluable experience to our Police Force. So if you’re looking for a new challenge it could be the perfect time to join us as a Special Constable.
What is a Special Constable?
Let’s start by dispelling some myths – fully trained Special Constables wear the same uniforms as regular colleagues and carry a full range of police powers. You’ll be issued with the same protective equipment, wear the same uniform and also deal with the same type of incidents. A large proportion of our Special Constables still maintain a career and volunteer in their spare time – so if you work in finance, hospitality, IT, travel, construction (the list goes on!) or indeed any industry, you know you’ll be in good company.
What will I be doing?
Special Constables make a unique contribution to all areas of policing. You’ll be a visible presence on our streets, responding to incidents and most importantly – protecting the vulnerable. Every day comes with a new challenge; you’ll often be the first person on the scene of a traffic incident or burglary, you’ll be accountable for how you handle these situations and the decisions you make. Knowing you’ve had an impact on the lives of others can be hugely rewarding and a fantastic opportunity to develop skills you never knew you had.
On a typical day you’ll be –
- Responding to 999 calls
- Going on foot and vehicle patrols
- Making arrests relating to various crimes
- Attending public events to ensure safety
- Talking to victims, offering support and taking statements
What are the essential skills?
- Integrity and honesty – you’ll be representing Northumbria Police and our values.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to adapt your style to different people and challenging situations.
- Strong problem solving skills and the ability to make difficult decisions.
- Resilience – you’ll have a high level of personal responsibility and be exposed to situations you may never have encountered before.
- Flexibility – no two days will be the same so you’ll need to be able to switch priorities quickly and adapt to differing priorities.
We’re looking for people who will enjoy speaking to the public and are driven to make a difference to the lives of others. You’ll also be self-motivated and passionate about learning new things.
Why become a Special Constable?
Joining Northumbria Police as a Special Constable will open up a world of opportunity for you to develop personally and professionally. Undergoing the training and then going out on patrol makes a welcome break from day-to-day life, bringing excitement and challenge every day you volunteer. You’ll also discover a lot you didn’t know about yourself and just how much you are really capable of
We also provide…
- Excellent development opportunities – you’ll gain self-confidence, improve your communication skills and learn more about your community.
- Flexibility around when you do your volunteer hours.
- Fantastic networking opportunities! You’ll work with people from a variety of backgrounds and officers with different levels of experience.
- Free travel on the Tyne and Wear Metro network.
- Access to one of our on-site gyms.
- A Blue Light card providing discount on shops, hotels and a variety of websites.
- Invitations to special volunteering events where we celebrate your amazing contribution to the Force.
It takes a great deal of people from different backgrounds, with diverse skills and experience to serve the population of Northumbria effectively. But we’ve all got one thing in common – a passion for keeping our communities safe. That drive and determination makes team NP a fantastic place to be.
Fancy joining our team?
If you’d like to know more about this opportunity we’ll be holding a variety of Virtual Engagement Events throughout August and September. It’s easy to sign up – just click on the apply button below.
If you are unable to find a suitable date, don’t worry – just get in touch and we’ll chat through next steps.