Senior Systems Administrator JRN
Area Command / Department
£33,039 - £37,584
Job title: Senior Systems Administrator
Salary: Band 8, £33,039 – £37,584 per annum
Location: Agile/ Forth Banks
Hours/Contract: Full-time, Permanent
Working for #TeamNP
Our purpose at Team NP is simple: to keep people safe and to fight crime. But it takes more than officers alone to do the job – and that’s where our 2,000-strong team of police staff and 200 volunteers come in.
As one of the largest police forces in England we have a huge variety of departments and specialisms offering you endless opportunities. From mentoring and coaching schemes and online soft skills courses to leadership development programmes; we’ll give you the support, training and time to carve out the career you always wanted.
As one of the top 50 UK inclusive employers and a disability confident employer, we promote a culture of respect in the workplace so everyone can feel seen, heard and valued.
Whether you’re a member of staff or a volunteer, you can also expect first-rate support to manage your health and wellbeing. With year-round events, a 24/7 welfare support hotline and a leading approach to neurodiversity, our initiatives enable you to be at your best.
Above all else, here at Team NP, we can offer you a career that is so much more than just a job, it’s a chance to be part of something that really matters.
Learn about our full benefits package
Here at Northumbria Police, we think our region is amazing! It takes a great deal of people from different backgrounds, with diverse skills and experience to serve our force area effectively, think you have what it takes to help us make a difference? This could be the perfect time for you to join us in our Force Transformation Department as a Senior Systems Administrator
To lead a team of System Administrators who provide the Force with configuration, support and maintenance skills and experience across major force systems (RMS, SmartContact, GIS); setting standards for the team and expected to be proactive in locating and solving problems/issues, providing improvements, aiding usage and passing on system knowledge to the Force business users/representatives.
What you’ll do
• Lead the team providing systems administration support for the Force RMS, SmartContact and GIS software.
• Ensure timely response to issues encountered by users, including: fault diagnosis; problem solving; remedial actions; system testing; user access and daily monitoring to respond to concerns in a timely manner
• Lead on the configuration of Force RMS, SmartContact and GIS products, ensuring optimal system effectiveness and enhanced user experience to support in the delivery of outstanding operational processes
• Line manage and co-ordinate System Administrator activity ensuring; configuration standards are documented and upheld, processes followed and documentation is continually maintained.
• Responsible for ensuring all technical environments being used by the Force are kept up to date and synchronised
• Maintain and continually develop excellent product knowledge, both personally and across the team, to ensure future developments/ enhancements/ product roadmaps are known and understood. Advise others on the use, potential inclusion and benefits of any new features being provided.
• Lead on the change management process for Force RMS, SmartContact and GIS, ensuring governance is documented and followed. Ensure the team are utilising in-depth product knowledge to suggest system solutions to improve processes and overcome operational problems
• Lead on developing and maintaining relationships with system suppliers
Sound interesting? For further information, and to support your application, please view the job description
What you’ll bring
• Good understanding of large IT Systems and the implications of emerging technologies for the Police environment. 2+ years of relevant experience of working in a service and project managed environment.
• Strong organisational skills, ideally supported by experience of using a formal project management methodology. Experience in evaluating information and the ability to clearly explain complex issues
• Excellent planning and organisational skills.
• Able to work under own initiative; prioritising tasks to meet the needs of the business. Use a structured approach to their work/ team’s work, with the ability to regularly assess and manage priorities.
• Planning, organising and prioritising work for a team
• Excellent problem solving skills and logical, innovative thinking.
• Possess good analytical skills, with an understanding of the need for accuracy and attention to detail.
• Ability to bridge the gap between technical and business language, to ensure the delivery of appropriate outcomes.
• Ability to analyse priorities & respond to complex customer challenges
• Excellent communication skills, ability to tailor style and method to suit range of stakeholders, staff and suppliers
We know it’s important for you to feel that you’re not only part of a great team, but part of a community. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community, regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, and sexual orientation.
Harnessing these differences creates a productive environment in which everyone feels valued, and their talents are fully utilised. Appointments are based on merit alone.
Interested to learn more? For further information about the role please contact Kirstie Jernskau, Project Manager by email at Kirstie.firstname.lastname@example.org
What we offer
• 26 days’ leave (increasing to 30 days for 5 years+ service) plus 8 bank holidays
• Enhanced maternity, shared parental and adoption leave
• Flexi time – allowing you to fit your working hours around your individual needs
• Flexible working (we are happy to discuss options such as compressed hours)
• Agile working – option to work from home, your team zone, and spaces across the force
• Fantastic market-leading public sector pension scheme with up to 16% employer contribution
• Corporate travel schemes – local rail, bus services and metro discounts
• Access to private healthcare and eye test vouchers
• Discounts on shopping and eating out thanks to the Blue Light Card and Blue Light Tickets
• We’ve invested in extensive paid sick leave, trained mental health first aiders on-site, an employee advice service for the times you need that additional support.
• Access to gyms in some stations
• Sports & Social Club – join our thriving sports scene at Team NP and enjoy further exclusive discounts on days out and travel
• Cycle to work scheme
Just so you know
Our application form will help us understand how your work, education and life experience has prepared you for the role of a Senior Systems Administrator with #TeamNP. To help support your application research what makes us tick here at Northumbria, the role you’re applying for and the values and behaviours that contribute.
Just so you know, you can save your application and come back to it any time prior to the closing date on the advert.
We are proud members of the Business Disability Forum, with whom we collaborate with to improve the lives of disabled employees. We are also a Disability Confident Leader, therefore if you demonstrate that you meet the minimum criteria for this role as stated in the advert, we will progress your application and offer you an interview.
If you tell us that you have a disability, we can make adjustments to support you through the recruitment process (for example we can arrange extra time for tests or provide a sign language interpreter) You can get in touch with us via email@example.com for any support regarding the application process. Please provide us with plenty of notice so we can ensure your visit goes smoothly. If your application is successful, we’ll ask you to complete a Recruitment Vetting (RV) form, therefore you must be a resident of the UK for a minimum period of 3 years to ensure vetting checks can be successfully performed. A job offer will be dependent upon vetting clearance, medical information, and references.
Terms of appointment
This is a permanent role subject to a six-month probationary period.
If you are successful in your application, you will have a 6month probation period with us where you will be unable to apply for any other post advertised internally or externally
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if we receive sufficient applications for the role. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.