Senior Network Engineer - JRN 20694
**The salary for the role is up to £54,242* per annum depending upon experience (*this includes a market forces supplement). This role also has an additional on call allowance of £2,840 per year (approximately) as well as overtime available**
Ever wondered what it’s like working behind the scenes for one of the UK’s largest Police Forces? Here at Northumbria Police, we are extremely excited to be able to offer an amazing opportunity to come and join us, in our Digital Policing team. Playing a key role in maintaining and improving the quality of policing services is technology. Information and communication systems are deployed and in use across the Force to help ensure that accurate and reliable information is made available to those who need it, when they need it and where they need it.
Agile working patterns apply to this position where informal agile working arrangements will be available as agreed with the vacancy manager and in line with the requirements of the role.
As the Senior Network Engineer, you will be the senior member of a 5-person network support team reporting to the Infrastructure Services Manager. The Network team manages the force’s WAN managed service provider alongside the delivery of inhouse support and maintenance services for its LAN/Wi-Fi estate and network security appliances.
The force is investing in SDWAN technology to support its networking services and we are looking for you to bring your networking expertise into the team to support the implementation programme. You will work with the Technology Architect to set networking standards and to design networking solutions in support of new product/service development. You will inspire and develop the skills of the network team to deliver outstanding networking services aligned to these standards and service designs.
What do I need?
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent relevant experience)
- CCNP qualified or (equivalent relevant experience)
- Excellent knowledge of how to install, configure and maintain switch and routing technologies (preferably Fortinet and Cisco), wireless technology (ideally Meraki) and VPN technology
- Experience of network management and monitoring tools such as (Fortinet Manager, EMS, SolarWinds and Cisco Prime)
- Excellent technical understanding of security products
- Significant experience in the management of suppliers to achieve contracted service level
- People management and development skills in terms of line management
- Demonstrable strategic thinking and action planning experience
- Demonstrable experience of managing a 2nd/3rd line network (WAN/LAN/WiFi) support and configuration service
- Logical approach to troubleshooting and use of appropriate troubleshooting tools (packet captures)
What will I be doing?
You will be heavily involved in the technical design discussions with the force’s WAN service provider to ensure that an effective networking solution is designed and installed and ensure that the team have the skills and understanding to support this networking environment on a 24×7 basis.
You will also assist in the assessment of the current networking services and make recommendations to the Infrastructure Services Manager as to the most appropriate enhancements to the environment in support of effective operational policing and back-office service delivery. You will work with the WAN service provider and the internal support team to deliver and maintain this environment.
You will lead the networking team in the refresh of all networking and security solutions and in the lifecycle management of these solutions to maintain a robust and secure networking service, leading the response to vulnerability issues identified by external or internal monitoring services.
For further information please see the role profile: here
Vetting Level – Management Vetting (MV)
Applicants must be a resident of the UK for a minimum period of 5 years to ensure vetting checks can be successfully performed. A job offer will be dependent upon vetting clearance, medical information and references.
Please note this is a newly published pay banding subject to consultation at Northumbria Police.
If you have any queries with regard to the application process please contact the Talent Acquisition Team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are successful in your application, you will have a 6-month probation period with us where you will be unable to apply for any other post advertised internally or externally.
- 26 days’ leave, excluding bank holidays, increasing to 30 days for 5 years+ service
- Enhanced Maternity, Shared Parental and Adoption leave
- Flexi Time Scheme – allowing you to fit your working hours around your individual needs
- Agile working – option to work from home, your team zone, and spaces across the force
- Fantastic market leading public sector pension scheme
- Corporate Travel schemes – local rail, bus services and metro
- Access to Private Healthcare and Eye Test Vouchers
- Discounts on shopping and eating out thanks to the Blue Light Card and Blue Light Tickets
- Also, to take care of your physical and mental well-being, we’ve invested in extensive paid sick leave, trained mental health first aiders on-site, an employee advice service and access to gyms in some stations
- Sports & Social Club – join our thriving sports scene at Team NP and enjoy further exclusive discounts on days out and travel
- Cycle to work scheme
Interested to learn more? To discuss the position in more detail please contact Ian Woodward, Head of DP Operations by email at email@example.com.
Northumbria Police fully supports a policy of equal opportunities and we welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community, regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation. Appointments are based on merit alone.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if we receive sufficient applications for the role. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.