Network Engineer - JRN 20240
Fixed term for up to 23 months
The salary is up to £42,735* per annum depending upon experience (*this includes a market forces supplement)
Location – Agile working – working from home as well as Ponteland Police Station
Ever wondered what it’s like working behind the scenes for one of the UK’s largest Police Forces? Here at Northumbria Police, we are extremely excited to be able to offer an amazing opportunity to come and join us, in our Digital Policing team. Playing a key role in maintaining and improving the quality of policing services is technology, information and communication systems are deployed and in use across the Force to help ensure that accurate and reliable information is made available to those who need it, when they need it and where they need it. We currently have a vacancy in our network engineering team and are looking for an outstanding engineer.
Our team of network engineers support and maintain LAN/Wi-Fi services and network security appliances, across 80+ locations throughout Northumberland and Tyne and Wear supporting our #TeamNP colleagues to deliver an outstanding policing service.
We’re increasing the strength and resilience of the team and want to recruit an experienced and talented network engineering professional. You will have a passion to deliver outstanding customer service, have an aptitude for problem-solving and troubleshooting and embrace an environment of continual change and process improvement.
Agile working patterns apply to this position where informal agile working arrangements will be available as agreed with the vacancy manager and in line with the requirements of the role.
What do I need?
- A CCNA, or equivalent qualification, and/or have significant relevant experience,
- Experience of providing 2nd or 3rd line network (WAN, LAN, WiFi) support and configuration services, Excellent technical understanding of switch and routing technologies (preferably Cisco and Fortinet) including their installation, configuration and maintenance.
- Strong Experience in the implementation and administration of firewall technology from various vendors such as Cisco, F5 and Checkpoint
- Experience in TCP/IP routing and switching technologies in a Cisco/Fortinet environment,
- Knowledge in common network services, including Domain Name System (DNS), Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), and load-balancing techniques,
- Strong experience in Cyber incident response and IT Health Check remediation within a Network environment
- Experience of supporting enterprise Wi-Fi technology,
- Knowledge of enterprise PKI, Active Directory and SD-WAN
What will I be doing?
- You’ll provide technical and security network support expertise to 6000+ Northumbria Police colleagues, across 80 + sites and home working,
- Liaise with other technical teams, stakeholders and 3rd party suppliers,
- You will be actively involved in the design and implementation of Network and Network Security solutions to support the force’s ongoing programmes of change.
- There will be a requirement to participate in a 24×7 365 day, On-Call rota.
For further information please see the role profile: here
Vetting Level – Management Vetting (MV)
Applicants must be a resident of the UK for a minimum period of 5 years to ensure vetting checks can be successfully performed. A job offer will be dependent upon vetting clearance, medical information and references.
Please note this is a newly published pay banding subject to consultation at Northumbria Police.
If you have any queries with regard to the application process please contact the Talent Acquisition Team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are successful in your application, you will have a 6-month probation period with us where you will be unable to apply for any other post advertised internally or externally.
- 26 days’ leave, excluding bank holidays, increasing to 28 days after 3 years’ service and 30 days for 5+ years’ service
- Enhanced Maternity, Shared Parental and Adoption leave
- Flexi Time Scheme – allowing you to fit your working hours around your individual needs
- Agile working – option to work from home, your team zone, and spaces across the force
- Fantastic market leading public sector pension scheme
- Corporate Travel schemes – local rail, bus services and metro
- Access to Private Healthcare and Eye Test Vouchers
- Discounts on shopping and eating out thanks to the Blue Light Card and Blue Light Tickets
- Also, to take care of your physical and mental well-being, we’ve invested in extensive paid sick leave, trained mental health first aiders on-site, an employee advice service and access to gyms in some stations
- Sports & Social Club – join our thriving sports scene at Team NP and enjoy further exclusive discounts on days out and travel
- Cycle to work scheme
Interested to learn more? To discuss the position in more detail please contact Ian Woodward, Head of DP Operations by email at email@example.com.
Northumbria Police fully supports a policy of equal opportunities, and we welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community, regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation. Appointments are based on merit alone.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if we receive sufficient applications for the role. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.