Network Engineer - JRN 20240
***In addition to the advertised salary, the successful candidate will be paid £2,840 per year (approx.) in the form of an ‘on call allowance’. Any overtime worked as a result of being on call will be payable at an enhanced rate of 1.5.***
Ever wondered what it’s like working behind the scenes for one of the UK’s largest Police Forces? Here at Northumbria Police, we are extremely excited to be able to offer an amazing opportunity to come and join us, in our Digital Policing team. Playing a key role in maintaining and improving the quality of policing services is technology, information and communication systems are deployed and in use across the Force to help ensure that accurate and reliable information is made available to those who need it, when they need it and where they need it. We currently have a vacancy in our network engineering team and are looking for a n outstanding engineer who is almost ready and looking to move into a Senior Networking role.
What do I need?
- A CCNA, or equivalent qualification, and/or have significant relevant experience,
- Excellent Knowledge of network security products and countermeasures, including firewalls, Virtual Private Networks (VPN’s), encryption and authentication techniques, web proxies,
- Strong Experience in the implementation and administration of firewall technology from various vendors such as Cisco, F5 and Checkpoint
- Experience in TCP/IP routing and switching technologies in a Cisco environment,
- Knowledge in common network services, including Domain Name System (DNS), Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), and load-balancing techniques,
- Strong experience in Cyber incident response and IT Health Check remediation within a Network environment
- Experience of supporting enterprise Wi-Fi technology,
- Knowledge of enterprise PKI, Active Directory and SD-WAN
Our team of network engineers support and maintain LAN/Wi-Fi services and network security appliances, across 80+ locations throughout Northumberland and Tyne and Wear supporting our #TeamNP colleagues to deliver an outstanding policing service.
We’re increasing the strength and resilience of the team and want to recruit an experienced and talented network engineering professional with a focus on Network Security and strong skills in Firewall and associated security products. You will have a passion to deliver outstanding customer service, have an aptitude for problem-solving and troubleshooting and embrace an environment of continual change and process improvement.
We are looking for someone with the passion and drive to develop into the role of Senior Network Engineer, acting as a mentor for the team, inspiring them to deliver outstanding networking services – this role will offer the opportunity for progression therefore we are looking for someone who actively wants to pursue a Senior Network Engineer role.
Agile working patterns apply to this position where informal agile working arrangements will be available as agreed with the vacancy manager and in line with the requirements of the role.
What will I be doing?
- You’ll provide technical and security network support expertise to 6000+ Northumbria Police colleagues, across 80 + sites and home working,
- Liaise with other technical teams, stakeholders and 3rd party suppliers,
- You will be actively involved in the design and implementation of Network and Network Security solutions to support the force’s ongoing programmes of change.
- There will be a requirement to participate in a 24×7 365 day, On-Call rota.
For further information please see the role profile
Interested to learn more? To discuss the position in more detail please contact Mark Armstrong (email@example.com)
If you have any queries with regard to the application process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms and Conditions
Vetting Level – Management Vetting (MV)
Applicants must be a resident of the UK for a minimum period of 5 years to ensure vetting checks can be successfully performed. A job offer will be dependent upon vetting clearance, medical information and references.
In return for your dedication and experience, we offer 24 days’ leave, excluding bank holidays, increasing to 28 days for 5 years+ service. We support our people inside and out of work – offering a very competitive pension scheme, childcare vouchers, and discounts on shopping and eating out thanks to the Blue Light Card. Also, to take care of your physical and mental well-being, we’ve invested in extensive paid sick leave, trained mental health first aiders on-site, an employee advice service and access to gyms in some stations.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion
At Northumbria Police we are all different and that’s our greatest strength. We draw on the differences in who we are, what we’ve experienced and how we think. We protect and serve everyone and therefore believe in including everyone. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all areas of the community as appointments are based solely on merit.
Northumbria Police are currently undertaking a role and reward project in respect of all police staff posts.
All staff including those appointed on fixed term contracts must successfully complete their probationary period before they are eligible to apply for a Northumbria Police vacancy.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if we receive sufficient applications for the role. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.