Maintenance Operative - JRN 30055
Area Command / Department
Salary: Band 2, £21,354 (Increasing to £21,528 from September 2023, following a transitional pay award period) Pro Rata
Location: Bedlington and possible travel to other locations
Hours/Contract: 30 hours per week, Permanent
Working for #TeamNP
Northumbria Police is one of the largest police forces in the country, serving a population of 1.5 million people from a wide range of various communities, covering an area of more than 2,000 square miles.
There are around 5,800 people working at Northumbria Police and 488 more who contribute by volunteering for one of our various volunteer schemes.
A career at Northumbria Police is like no other, it’s our people that make it an exciting and inclusive place to work – a place where you can let your skills shine. We are passionate about where we live and what we do, we deliver exceptional support to our communities, and we work together to make our local area a safer place for us all. Every single person at Northumbria Police is valued for their amazing contribution – and we are all part of something truly special.
What we offer
• 26 days’ leave (increasing to 30 days for 5 years+ service) plus 8 bank holidays (Pro Rata)
• Enhanced Maternity, Shared Parental and Adoption leave
• Fantastic market leading public sector pension scheme
• Corporate Travel schemes – local rail, bus services and metro
• Access to Private Healthcare and Eye Test Vouchers
• Discounts on shopping and eating out thanks to the Blue Light Card and Blue Light Tickets
• To take care of your physical and mental well-being, we’ve invested in extensive paid sick leave, trained mental health first aiders on-site, an employee advice service and access to gyms in some stations
• Sports & Social Club – join our thriving sports scene at Team NP and enjoy further exclusive discounts on days out and travel
• Cycle to work scheme
We are excited to be recruiting a Maintenance Operative based at our South Shields site. This role is perfect for you if you thrive on variety and love using an array of skills to identify and solve minor maintenance issues. On a weekly basis you’ll be conducting maintenance checks, Health and Safety Inspections and basic vehicle maintenance. You’ll be working across multiple sites, in and around our local force area. If you are looking to be part of a motivated team within a multifaceted organisation, this could be the job for you.
You’ll need to be enthusiastic and inquisitive with a can-do attitude – you’ll need to be comfortable working alone once you’ve completed the training, and able to manage your own time effectively. This is an exciting role where you’ll get to work in a busy police station supporting colleagues by providing a safe and functional environment.
What you’ll do
• Overseeing the maintenance of various stations and ensuring building repairs are dealt with in the appropriate manner.
• Ensuring that police vehicles are checked, maintained and suitable for operational purpose.
• You will also be involved in record and document production- including use of email, manual and electronic filing systems.
• Engaging with internal and external customers face to face and via the telephone, maintaining positive relationships with customers and your team.
• Driving police vehicles to other locations for repairs and maintenance.
Sound interesting? For further information, and to support your application, please view the job description: Maintenance Operative.pdf
What you’ll bring
• A maintenance background or knowledge of conducting basic repair work.
• You must hold a full UK driving licence for category B vehicles as well as a minimum of 12 months driving experience.
• Good team working skills
• Being able to trouble shoot building faults, remedy basic issues, or escalate as appropriate.
• Excellent communication skills are essential as you’ll be working with internal and external customers.
• Be flexible with work location and be prepared to work at various locations if required.
• It’s essential that you have a reasonable level of fitness for this role.
We know it’s important for you to feel that you’re not only part of a great team, but part of a community. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community, regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, and sexual orientation.
Harnessing these differences creates a productive environment in which everyone feels valued, and their talents are fully utilised. Appointments are based on merit alone.
Interested to learn more? For further information about the role please contact Daryl Wood by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Just so you know
Our application form will help us understand how your work, education and life experience has prepared you for the role of a Maintenance Operative with #TeamNP. To help support your application research what makes us tick here at Northumbria, the role you’re applying for and the values and behaviours that contribute.
For any queries about the application process, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team by email at email@example.com.
If your application is successful, we’ll ask you to complete a Recruitment Vetting (RV) form, therefore you must be a resident of the UK for a minimum period of 3 years to ensure vetting checks can be successfully performed. A job offer will be dependent upon vetting clearance, medical information, and references.
Terms of appointment
This is a permanent role subject to a six-month probationary period
All staff, including those appointed on fixed term contracts, must successfully complete their probationary period before they are eligible to apply for a Northumbria Police vacancy.