Diversity and Inclusion Manager JRN 20897
Area Command / Department
£51,153 - £55,803
Diversity and Inclusion Manager JRN 20897
Salary: Band 11, £51,153 – £55,803
Location: Agile / Forth Banks base
Hours/Contract: Full-time, Permanent
Working for #TeamNP
Our purpose at Team NP is simple: to keep people safe and to fight crime. But it takes more than officers alone to do the job – and that’s where our 2,000-strong team of police staff and 200 volunteers come in.
As one of the largest police forces in England we have a huge variety of departments and specialisms offering you endless opportunities. From mentoring and coaching schemes and online soft skills courses to leadership development programmes; we’ll give you the support, training and time to carve out the career you always wanted.
As one of the top 50 UK inclusive employers and a disability confident employer, we promote a culture of respect in the workplace so everyone can feel seen, heard and valued.
Whether you’re a member of staff or a volunteer, you can also expect first-rate support to manage your health and wellbeing. With year-round events, a 24/7 welfare support hotline and a leading approach to neurodiversity, our initiatives enable you to be at your best.
Above all else, here at Team NP, we can offer you a career that is so much more than just a job, it’s a chance to be part of something that really matters.
Learn about our full benefits package: https://careers.northumbria.police.uk/police-staff/benefits/
Here at Northumbria Police, we think our region is amazing! It takes a great deal of people from different backgrounds, with diverse skills and experience to serve our force area effectively, think you have what it takes to help us make a difference? This could be the perfect time for you to join us in our People Services Department as a Diversity and Inclusion Manager.
Play a key role in delivering the DE+I in Northumbria Police and will plan, enact, and support the Force on the delivery.
What you’ll do
The Diversity and Inclusion Manager (Organisation) plays an integral role within this and responsibilities include;
• Design and implement activity across the organisational landscape to deliver upon the organisations strategic ambition regarding Diversity and Inclusion.
• Ensure compliance with all statutory and mandatory requirements for equality, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility by providing specialist advice on best practices to promote, attract, retain and develop a diverse and inclusive workforce which is representative of the communities we serve.
• Coach and support operational leads, managers and colleagues to deliver equality objectives using insight and evidence-based practice to advise on the development of strategies to drive cultural change, eliminate and reduce disparity, and build trust and confidence within communities.
• Lead on the design and delivery of sustainable DE&I training programmes and projects that support workforce transformation and create an inclusive culture at team, departmental and organisational level to increase diversity, inclusion and wellbeing.
• Research changes in diversity and inclusion initiatives externally and use learning to continually improve our approach to diversity, equality and inclusion to strengthen our external brand as an inclusive employer and trusted policing service.
• Provide leadership and direction to the Diversity and Inclusion Advisors including recruitment, development and performance review, by ensuring they have the skills, knowledge, behaviours and experience to be productive in their role and reach their full potential.
Sound interesting? For further information, and to support your application, please view the job description
What you’ll bring
• Educated to degree level or equivalent experience in relevant or aligned subject.
• Subject matter expert in diversity, equality and inclusion.
• Thorough understanding of Equality Act 2010 and Public Sector Equality Duty.
• Evidence of CPD.
• Ability to prioritise and complete multiple complex responsibilities and projects simultaneously and ability to manage within deadlines.
• Experience of supervising and/or managing staff.
• Ability to build strong working relationships, demonstrating high level of professional credibility at all levels.
• Role model who is passionate about diversity and inclusion who demonstrates professional credibility.
• Experience of working in diversity, equality and inclusion in a senior role.
• Project management qualification.
• Experience working within the wider public sector / policing sector.
• CIPD qualification.
We know it’s important for you to feel that you’re not only part of a great team, but part of a community. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community, regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, and sexual orientation.
Harnessing these differences creates a productive environment in which everyone feels valued, and their talents are fully utilised. Appointments are based on merit alone.
Interested to learn more? For further information about the role please contact Rich Gentry by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
What we offer
• 26 days’ leave (increasing to 30 days for 5 years+ service) plus 8 bank holidays
• Enhanced maternity, shared parental and adoption leave
• Flexi time – allowing you to fit your working hours around your individual needs
• Flexible working (we are happy to discuss options such as compressed hours)
• Agile working – option to work from home, your team zone, and spaces across the force
• Fantastic market-leading public sector pension scheme with up to 16% employer contribution
• Corporate travel schemes – local rail, bus services and metro discounts
• Access to private healthcare and eye test vouchers
• Discounts on shopping and eating out thanks to the Blue Light Card and Blue Light Tickets
• We’ve invested in extensive paid sick leave, trained mental health first aiders on-site, an employee advice service for the times you need that additional support.
• Access to gyms in some stations
• Sports & Social Club – join our thriving sports scene at Team NP and enjoy further exclusive discounts on days out and travel
• Cycle to work scheme
Just so you know
Our application form will help us understand how your work, education and life experience has prepared you for the role of a Diversity and Inclusion Manager with #TeamNP. To help support your application research what makes us tick here at Northumbria, the role you’re applying for and the values and behaviours that contribute.
We are proud members of the Business Disability Forum, with whom we collaborate with to improve the lives of disabled employees. We are also a Disability Confident Employer, therefore if you demonstrate that you meet the minimum criteria for this role as stated in the advert, we will progress your application and offer you an interview.
If you tell us that you have a disability, we can make adjustments to support you through the recruitment process (for example we can arrange extra time for tests or provide a sign language interpreter) You can get in touch with us via email@example.com for any support regarding the application process. Please provide us with plenty of notice so we can ensure your visit goes smoothly. If your application is successful, we’ll ask you to complete a Recruitment Vetting (RV) form, therefore you must be a resident of the UK for a minimum period of 3 years to ensure vetting checks can be successfully performed. A job offer will be dependent upon vetting clearance, medical information, and references.
Terms of appointment
This is a permanent role subject to a six-month probationary period
If you are successful in your application, you will have a 6 month probation period with us where you will be unable to apply for any other post advertised internally or externally
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if we receive sufficient applications for the role. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.